Wellington, Ellor Street, Hanky Park, Salford. (c) Tony Flynn .
The Wellington stood on the corner of Goodwin Street and Ellor Street in Hanky Park, Salford. The beerhouse opened at some point between 1852 and 1855, and soon managed to obtain a full licence, while beer was also brewed on the premises. By about 1880, Threlfalls Brewery had taken over and the Wellington had been rebuilt. In 1915 the windows of the pub were put through during the anti-German Lusitania riots after the landlord had been heard to sympathise with a nearby German pork butcher whose shop had been attacked .
Sadly the Wellington's fate was sealed in 1960 when it was earmarked for demolition for the wholesale redevelopment of this part of old Salford. Despite the pub being 'first class in every way', the Wellington closed at 9:30pm on 28th April 1963 . This date may resonate with old Salfordians as "Black Sunday" when all of Hanky Park's pubs were forced to close for demolition. The old location of the Wellington on Ellor Street was roughly where Citrus Way is today, not far from the surviving Flemish Weaver.
1. Hanky Park, Tony Flynn (1990).
2. Salford Pubs Part Three: including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).