Duke of York, Regent Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The Duke of York was the first Regent Road pub along with the Wellington, opening in 1827 when there was a huge Infantry Barracks across the road. In the 1870s it was acquired by Broadbents Steam Brewery of Chorlton-on-Medlock, passing to Threlfalls who renovated the pub in 1907 .
Duke of York (right), Regent Road, Salford. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr .
The renovations included a vault extension, smoke room extension, creation of a lounge from the kitchen and bar parlour, and new lavatories. Not to mention the improved sporting facilities - "one of the finest Billiard Rooms in the Borough ."
The Duke of York remained open until mid-1982 under Whitbread when it, along with all other of the old Regent Road pubs, was pulled down for road widening . Opposite Comus Street from the Albert, the Duke of York once stood on this corner.
Former location of Duke of York, Regent Road. (c) Google 2013. View Larger Map.
2. Salford Pubs Part Two: Including Islington, Ordsall and Ordsall Lane, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).