Horse Shoe, Back Hope Street, Higher Broughton. (c) Goole 2012. View Larger Map.
The Horse Shoe beerhouse opened in 1862 as competition for the nearby Star Inn which had opened around 1855 as still survives today, run as a regulars' cooperative. The Horse Shoe became an Openshaw Brewery house and they rebuilt it into the fine building which still stands today at the top end of Back Hope Street.
Horse Shoe, Back Hope Street, Higher Broughton. (c) Salford Pubs of the 70s at flickr.
The Horse Shoe became a Bass Charrington house in the 1980s but retained its Openshaw Brewery signage. Its listed status means the Openshaw Brewery advert and etched windows survive but sadly the pub closed in 2000 and is today used as a nursery.
Horse Shoe, Back Hope Street, Higher Broughton. (c) Brewery History Society.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Orsdall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton, Neil Richardson (2003).