A few dozen yards before West King Street meets St Stephen Street in Salford today, the original King Street used to meet up with the lost Broughton Street. Here, the Bee Hive beerhouse opened on the north side in 1821 but it was soon renamed St Lukes Tavern when the new landlord moved from a pub of the same name on Long Millgate, Manchester. Mild and bitter were offered along with French brandy, Islay whiskey and "Best Old Port from the wood". Threlfalls took over the St Lukes Tavern in the late 1800s - it's pictured in Neil Richardson's book in the 1920s - and the pub stood until it was victim of the first St Mattias clearance in 1954 . The Canon Green Court flats sit here today.