Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Friday 27 July 2012

Midland, Hyde Road


Midland, Hyde Road, Belle Vue. (c) Gary Taylor at manmates.co.uk [1].

The Midland was both a station hotel - being opposite Belle Vue Station - and place for visitors to the Pleasure Gardens to visit for refreshments or accommodation.  It was also a Belle Vue Brewery outlet [2].  We used to park at the Midland in the late '80s, early '90s when watching the Aces speedway team at Kirkmanshulme Lane, after their Hyde Road stadium was demolished. 


Midland, Hyde Road, Belle Vue. (c) manmates [3].

I'm not sure I was ever dragged inside the big old pub though.  The Midland was on the corner of Glencastle Road (now disused) and Hyde Road but was demolished in 2002 [2] or 2003 [3] to be replaced by very little.


Former Midland, Hyde Road, Belle Vue. (c) Google 2012. View Larger Map.

1. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/GortonBaths.htm#Midland2.
2. http://manchesterhistory.net/bellevue/midland.html.
3. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alscot1/Bellvuetrain.htm.

7 comments:

  1. The midland pub was the best one in bellevue like there sad to see it go

    ReplyDelete
  2. i use to go in the pub from the middle 80s until it closed ive seen a few landlords/landladys come and go after tommy and his wife left but i also made some nice freinds i remember the bonfire nights and firework displays and the xmas parties for the kids karaoke nights and pound a pint it was the best pub in gorton and i still miss it till this day i also remember the showboat at the back of the lake pub it was great for a late drink but no pub compares to the midland best pub in gorton

    ReplyDelete
  3. unfourtunatly, it became a hub for the local gangs off mount rd that would fire guns, intimidate passers by. police closed it then it was demolished soon after. sad ending and another piece of bellevue gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to go in this pub in the very early nineties as I lived on Glencastle Road for a while. I think it was some kind of Bass-sports theme- brand then. I do remember as an outsider, it was hard to make friends. The pub itself was lovely architecturally. West Gorton then was a funny place. End of an era...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was meant to have my 18th birthday there in 1996 but moved last minute when my Mum found out there was a shooting there the week before. My Mum and Dad had their wedding reception there in 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Urgh it was scruffy full of rough people

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went in the Midland regularly from 1978 to 1981,it wasn't rough then.I made lots of friends and was able to have a chat with lots of the locals.I was a regular in the Nelson too.Also went in the Mount which was just down from where I lived on Craig rd.Really good friends with Barry Toner and Johnnie Brindley.I miss those days.I haved lived in North Wales since 1981.

    ReplyDelete