Brown Cow, Silk Street, Salford. (c) Neil Richardson .
The Brown Cow beerhouse was open by the 1840s on the corner of North George Street and Silk Street, becoming a Cornbrook Ales house by the 1890s. The Brown Cow was included in the 1956 St Matthias clearance scheme to be replaced by flats, and closed in 1960, the year it is shown here . The exact corner where the Brown Cow once stood is today marked by the car park of the Adelphi Court Silk Street flats. Of course, this part of Salford is known as the Adelphi by Salfordians and Mancunians of a certain age.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).