The first beerhouse to open on the west end of Liverpool Street was the Duchess of Edinburgh on the corner of Siever Street (later Birley Street). This was in around the 1860s and by 1874 it was owned by Charles Mottram of the Sun Brewery on Ford Lane. Walker & Homfray took the Duchess before she passed to Wilsons then closed in about 1970 . The former location of the old Duchess of Edinburgh is marked by the gates to Lark Hill Community Primary School.
1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).