Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Friday 2 September 2011

Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane

Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford, 1951. (c) Neil Richardson [1].

Not to be confused with the Cattle Market / Red Rose Hotel across the road, the Cattle Market Tavern opened a few years before the hotel, being shown on the 1831 map of Salford.  It was originally set back from the road with the front gardens used as a pull-in for horse-drawn traffic.  In 1867 there was an odd advertisement for the pub, "the greatest wonder out... to be seen alive, a calf with six perfect legs."  In the 1880s the pub was acquired by the Bolton Street Brewery who leased it to Cardwell's of Hulme in 1895.


Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) James Herring at facebook.

Wilsons then Walkers & Homfrays took the pub, the latter which rebuilt it in the 1920s in line with the Cross Lane shops.  They renamed it slightly to the Cattle Market Wine Tavern, as it was licensed only to sell beer and wine; it wasn't until 1960 that Wilsons obtained a spirits licence.  In 1966 the pub was included in the Windsor Extension compulsory purchase area and was pulled down (unlike its neighbour the Golden Gate / Craven Heifer) [1].

Former location of Cattle Market Tavern, Cross Lane, Salford. (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part Three: Including Cross Lane, Broad Street, Hanky Park, the Height, Brindleheath, Charlestown and Weaste, Neil Richardson (2003).

7 comments:

  1. Hello and thank you so much for your research and diligence to preserve this very important part of my personal history. My dear mother was a war bride who relocated to Canada where I was born. She faithfully told the stories and kept her heritage alive in our hearts while protecting us from the extreme harshness with the sense of humour one needed to survive such dire conditions. There were occasional visits to and from Salford over the years. The last one was in 2015. We tried to find the location of the old Cattle Market pub which was apparently where my mom and dad met. You have posted a picture, but there is no exact address. Is it possible to get that information for my next visit? My mother lived not far from there on Goodwin Street near Ellor Street. Salfordian was my first language as a child and I still speak it fluently at will which thrills my children and grandchildren. Thanks again for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to the cattle market in the early 70s when it was a slightly grotty disco but I keep reading it was demolished in the 60s. Was i imagining it or was there more than one. It on cross lane at the end of Eller street?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know Roy Parker or any of his family

      Delete
  3. My Grandad George Holmes was the landlord here in the late 50's- early 60's. I spent a lot of time at that pub as a child. I do have some photo's somewhere, but I also have some stories should anybody be interested. I lived in Stretford, but Salford is such a special place in my (currently 72 year old) memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know Roy Parker or any of his family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roy Parker lived on Littleton Road in Salford

      Delete
    2. Does anyone know roy

      Delete