Walker & Homfrays of Salford was registered as a brewery in 1896 (though appears to have been in existence earlier than that) and was bought out by Wilsons of Newton Heath in 1949. In 1929 Walker & Homfrays themselves had bought up the Creeses Brewery in Hyde. The sign on the Main Stand roof at Maine Road contains the line "Beer is the Best" - agreed.
The Crown (now the Deansgate), Deansgate. (c) www.northmanchester.net/content/view/99/2/.
Former Walker & Homfrays houses in town include the Ancoats Hotel, Waterloo, Frascati and the recently lost White House - the only one still standing is the Deansgate, formerly the Crown. History of the brewery is scarce, but we do know that it was located at the Woodside Brewery, Wilmslow Street, off Eccles New Road.
Walker & Homfrays beer mat. (c) www.calvert-beermats.com.