The above shot is taken from outside the still standing Black Horse Hotel, showing a row of empty offices between the Black Horse and Oldfield Road. In the 19th century the row of houses here was called Crescent Parade, and before Crescent Row was built, there was an alehouse here called the White Lion, next door to the Crescent Inn (not to be confused with the still popular Crescent). It was first licensed in 1870 and was last recorded in the 1797 directory as the Gardeners Arms .
1. Salford Pubs - Part Two: Including Islington, Orsdall Lane and Ordsall, Oldfield Road, Regent Road and Broughton. Neil Richardson (2003).