Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Thursday, 7 April 2011

Town Hall Tavern, Cleminson Street

Town Hall Tavern, Cleminson Street. (c) Neil Richardson [1].

Situated closed to the old Dock & Pulpit / Borough, off Chapel Street, the Town Hall Tavern was at No.1 Cleminson Street.  It stood on the corner of Cleminson Street and Ford Street. It was described as a housing estate pub in the 1960s style with large lounge (waiters at weekends), large public bar and vault for playing pool, darts and smoking weed (!) [2].

Town Hall Tavern, Cleminson Street, Salford. (c) Mark Naylor at vimeo.

Town Hall Tavern, Cleminson Street, Salford. (c) Mark Naylor at vimeo.

The fact that's it's also listed on the 1922 Ordnance Survey map indicates the pub was rebuilt at some point [1] - confirmed as being rebuilt in 1968 as a Whitbread house, perhaps Salford's first new-build estate pubs.  A block of new-build red brick flats now stands on this corner (to the left, down Ford Street, is the old Church Inn).


Former location of Town Hall Tavern, Cleminson Street. (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester and Salford City Centres (1975).

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the pub was rebuilt and reopened in 1968 as one of Salford's earliest classic estate pubs. Your picture shows the original three-storey Town Hall Tavern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and there we have it, pic of the new-build now added

    ReplyDelete