River, Palmerston Street, Ancoats. (c) Google 2011 - View Larger Map.
The River on Palmerston Street, just off the inner ring road in Ancoats, was licensed in 1860 as a Cronshaws Alexandra Brewery house before becoming a Groves & Whitnall house . By the 1980s it was a Greenalls house and as shown in these shots, before it shut, a freehouse. Since closure The River has deteriorated badly. However, work has been carried out recently to either begin the restoration of the building, or at least sure it up until someone decides what to do with it. As Ancoats is (very) slowly regenerated, there may be a glimmer of hope for the survival of the building, if not the The River as a public house.
A photo of the River is by Gene Hunt is at flickr.
1. The Old Pubs of Ancoats, Neil Richardson (1987).