The Peel Park Inn was a small, pleasantly shabby hostelry with a vault and games room which squeezed in a pool table and pinball table. A John Smiths house, as still evidenced in its boarded up state today, the beer on offer in the 1970s was pressure pumped Smiths, John Smiths Light, Courage Keg, Harp and Guinness . They've bricked up the windows and knocked down neighbouring premises suggesting that the Chapel Street regeneration scheme might see the end of the Peel Park Inn and the grand Manchester & Salford Savings Bank.
The beerhouse was first described as the Peel Park House Refreshment Rooms under licensee Charles Few in a 1862 advert. They offered real Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, chops, steaks and Burton ales. Previously the Peel Park had been owned by Yates's Castle Brewery of Ardwick. The pub was nearly closed in 1913 when the police included it on a list of pubs where customers could enter and exit via the back door without being seen. However, the end came in 1999 when the owners, Nomura, sold it to the bank next door .
Peel Park Inn, Chapel Street, 2008. (c) Andrew Greco.
1. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester & Salford City Centres (1975).
2. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).