Pubs of Manchester

All pubs within the city centre and beyond.
A history of Manchester's hundreds of lost pubs.

Saturday, 30 April 2011

Canterbury Hall, Chapel Street

Former Canterbury Hall, Chapel Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.

Opposite the Red Lion / Raven Hotel at the eastern end of Chapel Street was this pub that went through numerous name changes in its one hundred plus year history.  On the corner of Chapel Street and Greengate, the Clockmakers or Clock Face alehouse was opened in 1790 before it was changed to the Feathers Inn in 1829.  It was the Rising Sun ten years later then the Victoria Bridge Inn, as shown on the 1849 map [2].  The pub was advertised as Fox's Victoria Music Hall in the 1850s and it was around this time the premises were thought to have been rebuilt as the Canterbury Hall, or Canterbury Hotel.  

Former Canterbury Hall, Chapel Street, Salford, 1930s. (c). Neil Richardson [1].

By 1893 the Canterbury Hall closed as a Chesters Brewery house but continued as the Canterbury Plaster Works as shown above.  The place was still owned by Chesters and in the 1930s they even fitted an illuminated sign on the first floor window that beamed "Chesters Brewers of Quality" over the bus station and river to Manchester [1]. The building still survives today as what appear to be office blocks.


Former Canterbury Hall, Chapel Street, Salford. (c) googlemaps.

1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. Manchester Victoria 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment