The Bridgewater Arms, obviously named after the Bridgewater Canal terminus at nearby Knott Mill, stood on Chester Road until 1964. It appears on the 1848 map of Castlefield, run by N. Saudiform , but it goes back even further as it was previously known as the Hare & Hounds. The Bridgewater Arms was a Manchester Brewery pub and was run by the Peter Walker Brewery on its closure . The Mancunian Way bored its way through this area in the mid-1960s, and the Bridgewater Arms was one of many pubs that had to make way. The site of the pub is just on the city centre side of the Mancunian Way, opposite Blantyre Street, opposite the Lord Clyde.
1. The Old Pubs of Hulme & Chorlton-on-Medlock, Bob Potts (1997).
2. Castlefield 1848, Alan Godfrey Maps (2008)