On Adelphi Street, off Chapel Street and near to the still open Old Pint Pot, the Brewery Tavern used to stand on the corner of Upper Cleminson Street. Not surprisingly, the pub is named after the Adelphi Street Brewery which was adjacent and it's first listed in 1855, under the stewardship of James and Jane Rowlinson. Next licensee was James Collins, who, in 1880, was charged with selling porter adultered with salt to make drinkers thirsty, although it turned out the brewery had done it! In 1908, then licensee Joseph Woolrich was done for selling beer to workmen before 6am. The North Cheshire Brewery bought the pub in 1923, then Inde Coope took over in the 1950s, followed by Tetley's in the 1960s .
Brewery Tavern, Adelphi Street. (c) deltrems at flickr.
In the 1970s, the Brewery Tavern was described as a pub specialising in continental beers - Lowenbrau, Skol and Skol Special Strength, plus bottled lagers, in addition to push button Tetley bitter, mild and Double Diamond . The last lease holders were Burtonwood Brewery in 1992 before the Brewery Tavern closed down at the end of the 1990s and was demolished some time in the mid-noughties .
Former location of Brewery Tavern, Adelphi Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).
2. The Manchester Pub Guide, Manchester and Salford City Centres (1975).