The Bird in Hand was on the corner of Bury Street and Sidmouth Street in an area that was consumed by the building of Trinity Way ring road. First listed in the 1843 directory, the beerhouse was taken over by Chesters Brewery towards the end of the century followed by Wilsons Brewery. The pub was damaged in a WWII air raid and a new Bird in Hand was built after the war. Sadly it didn't last much longer as the pub was included in the first slum clearance area, and following a compulsory purchase order in 1955, the pub closed in 1965 and was soon demolished. The licensees then were Roy and Beryl Ditchburn who moved to the newly built Bird in Hand a little further along Bury Street on St Stephen Street, still open today as Mulvany's Lounge .
Mulvany's Lounge (former Bird in Hand), St Stephen Street. (c) googlemaps.
1. Salford Pubs - Part One: The Old Town, including Chapel Street, Greengate and the Adelphi, Neil Richardson (2003).