In the 1800s Oak Street ran uninterrupted from Thomas Street to Swan Street and had three pubs, all on the right hand side. The Fleece was at the bottom on the corner of Thomas Street; the Royal Oak was at the top end (2 on the map). The middle pub was the Old Fleece, presumably established prior to the one down the street. It was on the corner of Oak Street and Whittle Street as seen by 3 on the map, and was three doors up from the little Oak Street Chapel . Opposite the Old Fleece in the 1840s was a cotton mill, crammed in amongst the houses and Smithfield Market.
1. Manchester (New Cross) 1849, Alan Godfrey Maps (2009).